- This event has passed.
UNH Capstone Program 2023
August 11 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Dear ACEC-NH Member Firms:
The Civil and Environmental Engineering department at UNH requires that all graduating seniors participate in our Capstone design experience. This year-long class presents students with an opportunity to work as part of a team to apply engineering, communication, and management skills. At this time, we are contacting companies, municipalities, and public agencies to request proposals for engineering projects for the course. Projects that include multiple engineering disciplines (i.e., structural, geotechnical, environmental, water resources) are strongly encouraged. The project could be one that your firm has completed, is under construction, or entails investigation of potential alternatives for a project being considered. Recent projects undertaken in the course include investigation of a landfill expansion, design of a sewer pump station, design of an airport runway reconstruction, forensic investigation of a bridge collapse, an alternatives investigation for a replacement bridge, and reconfiguration of an intersection option. This program has proved to be highly-rewarding experience for both the project sponsor and the student teams.
Capstone Program Background Information:
- This year’s Senior Class is approximately 60 students that will undertake approximately 15 projects in teams of 3-5 students.
- We will be selecting approximately 25 projects for consideration by the students. The potential projects submitted will be reviewed and evaluated as they are submitted.
- Please submit projects no later than August 11, 2023. This will allow for the review projects and scheduling of the presentations. Only one project per company or agency will be accepted for consideration.
- The commitment to the program will vary depending upon the size and complexity of the project. However, the time commitment is approximately 8 hours total per month; this includes meetings, correspondence, review of submission, etc.
- The student teams are expected to provide timely communication, progress reports, etc. to their sponsor as would be expected for real world projects.
- A faculty member will be assigned to each team to provide grades for the assignment and technical guidance. The Faculty Project Advisor will work with the project sponsor to manage the student team.
- Below are links to the posters developed for each project in association with the Undergraduate Research Conference. This will provide an overview of the type of projects that have been undertake in recent years.
Please feel free to contact Anthony Puntin (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Matt Low (email@example.com) if you have any questions about the Capstone Program. Thank you in advance for your time.
Anthony Puntin, P.E.
Civil/Environmental and Mechanical Engineering Departments
University of New Hampshire
W133 Kingsbury Hall
33 Academic Way
Durham, NH 03824